A perfect kitchen is the necessity of delicious food. The kitchen is an essential part of any house or restaurant. It is the heart and soul of any building. However, maintaining the kitchen in a commercial style is an important question for any owner. Therefore, commercial kitchen design is beneficial for this very purpose as it adds value to the restaurant.
Benefits of commercial kitchen designs
- The perfect design will determine the smooth functionality of the restaurant.
- The commercial kitchen design will also enable the staff to produce high-quality food consistently.
- It avoids obstacles for the team to help the staff to work efficiently.
- A commercial kitchen layout is easy to use, as it meets every need of the restaurant by enabling staff to deliver the best quality experience.
Different types of commercial kitchen layout
- Assembly line layout
- Zone-style layout
- Island layout
- Open kitchen layout
- Galley layout
Assembly line layout
- It consists of a central row that also looks like an island that helps start with food preparation, thereby helping to serve the food.
- This layout helps in the production of the same type of food item several times. The line is ideal for multiple cooks responsible for making every part of the process of producing the food. They are also good for restaurants with limited food preferences on the menu.
- It has two separate zones for two different types of activity for the preparation of different kinds of food such as soup, meat preparation, and baking.
- It helps the kitchen to be organized and allows the preparation of different types of food at the same time.
- Each zone has a specialized chef, unlike a line cook to start and finish the cooking.
- This is helpful for restaurants that have diverse food varieties on their menus with many staff. It is helpful for large operations like hotels and restaurants.
This layout starts with a ring layout with a washing area, storage units, and different food preparation counters with various cooking equipment in the centre. This layout helps the staff to communicate efficiently along with executive chef supervision.
Open kitchen layout
It allows the customers to see the cooking that usually happens behind the scenes. The open kitchen can be created by taking down extra walls of the commercial kitchen. During the COVID-19, using a glass wall can also be beneficial.
In such a setup, the equipment is generally on the kitchen’s perimeter along with the working station. In a small space, the kitchen can be divided into parallel two walls and placed along the walls.
In this layout, multiple cooks in the kitchen can easily rotate to work multiple stations at once. This layout can be used in very small places as well.
The most important five components of a commercial kitchen are-
- Washing area
- Cooking area
- Food preparation
- Service area
How to get a perfect commercial kitchen layout?
- By knowing the demand of the customers and executing the menus accordingly
- By knowing the limitations of the space and understanding the number of staff working in the space
- By understanding the purpose of the layout and how it fulfils the customers
Strategic design helps any kitchen to function properly by ensuring the safety of the kitchen.
Author’s bio: Ester Adams is a farmer of words in the field of creativity. She is an experienced independent content writer with a demonstrated history of working in the writing and editing industry. She is a multi-niche content chef who loves cooking new things