Plastics are normally organic polymers of high molecular mass, but in some cases contain other substances that can be molded into shape while soft, and then set in slightly elastic or rigid form. They are typically synthetic and commonly derived from a wide range of polymers such as polyethylene, nylon and PVCP etc.
Plastic tubing is the most preferred container for personal care, cosmetic, hair care and semi-pharmaceutical products as well as a wide range of plumbing products. The choice of plastics as a material for the above is chiefly as a results of its plasticity which is a common characteristics of all materials that are able to irreversibly deform without breaking, but this occurs to a high extent with this class of moldable polymers thus the emphasis on this ability. Other properties are their ease of manufacture, versatility, relatively low cost, and imperviousness to water.
Plastic tubes are made of various polyethylene materials to suit the inner filling and provide the best-case holder based on its use. The various classes of these plastic materials are given below:
- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) – it is used to make Plumbing pipes and guttering, shower curtains, window frames, flooring. PVC is though in terms of strength but should not be used close to fire because it contains phthalates, which can cause hormonal imbalance.
- Polypropylene (PP) – used in the manufacture of appliances, car fenders (bumpers), and plastic pressure pipe systems bottle caps, drinking straws, yogurt containers. In terms of toxicity, this item is considered safe.
- Polyethylene terephtalate (PET)- typically clear in color, majority of disposable soda and water bottles are made of it
- High-density polyethylene (HDPE) – used to make items such as milk jugs, molded plastic cases and detergent bottles
- Low-density polyethylene (LDPE) – used in the manufacture of Outdoor furniture, siding, floor tiles, shower curtains, clamshell packaging etc
- Polysulfone – melts at high temperature to give a process able resin used in membranes, filtration media, water heater dip tubes
Plastic tubes can be made of more than one layer, based on the number of layers we have
- Mono Layer Tubes: These types of tube are used for a variety of creams, soaps and ointments. It is the most common type, and it can be produced out of either Low-density polyethylene or High-density polyethylene, or a combination of the two.
- Two Layer Tubes: a tube is two-layered when the inner layer contains the requested color and the outer layer the special effect.
- Multi Layer Tubes: This five-layer tube is made Low-density polyethylene and provides the best barrier a plastic tube can offer.
- PE Based Sugar Cane Tube: This tube is made from virgin sugarcane resin, thus it is eco-friendly
- Crystal Clear Tubes: It is very of use when the color and the texture of the filling play a part in the decoration.
The best plastic tubes can be gotten from B.G bullas LTD; where you find plastic extruded using a variety of plastics. B.G Bullas specializes in custom profiles designed and made in house.